Hopeless Romantic, or just hopeless?

I have never thought of myself as a romantic in any sense but, I would classify as hopeless.

Growing up you become a hopeless romantic by watching movies and tv shows and getting invested in characters that end up falling madly in love. You get to see them go to either end of the world for love. As a girl you either invest yourself into those stories and dream of being in a relationship that defys the rest of the world or, you understand that it is all fictional, made up by writers and you may or may not become a tad synical about the whole "True Love" thing.

Until this point in my life I haven't really considered myself a romantic type. I have never felt genuinely consumed or concerned with relationships (even if they were my best friends). Does that make me an ass?

I have just always separated the movies and the books and all the characters I encounter from reality.

Plenty of my friends believed in the sappy love. We would go see all the Nichols Sparks movies and discuss all the Sarah Dessen summer love story books. I honestly just thought I was more mature then them because I understand the separation from fiction and reality.

As a 20 year old I have felt a switch. I now have best friends who are getting married and I am actually happy about it. It is a different ballgame compared to the people is see daily on Facebook. The same people I went to high school with who get married because they got pregnant or their husbands are in the military.

I now have friends who are getting married because they want to settle down and start families. I also get to hear these real life love stories. How when they first met they were both dating other people or they actually hated each other at first sight. These are real life love stories that give hope to hopeless people. I get to watch all these relationships blossom and realize that every couple has their own love story. They have all  had to overcome some type of hardship to reach this point where they realize they want to be together.

Forever.

I also realize that love happens to people when they least expect it. You could be falling in love for the first time. You could be just getting out of a long term relationship and thinking you have found a new, fresh, exciting love. You could be single for a year and falling for someone who helped you open up to new people.

Realizing that this makes me a romantic is okay. I am excited to see all the pieces fall into place for the "right time" love for me and my friends. Now I know that real life love stories are a hundred times more special than any thing made up. Love is real....or maybe I'm just hopeless.

Comments

Popular Posts