Reputation: Taylor Swift. Album Photoshoot.

A week ago I was trying to type and formulate a "first listen impression" blog post for Taylor Swift's album Reputation. All of my initial responses to the songs got stuck in my head and I couldn't find the right words to explain how I felt about each song. Nothing I was writing was making sense. So, I decided to start writing out the characteristics that I pictured for each track. The visuals, the colors, the subjects. That list turned into a compete concept photo shoot for every track of REP. 15 tracks and 15 complete sets/makeup/wardrobe and subjects. Each song tells me a story, shows me a visual, gives me a feeling and vibe. I finished this project in less than a week and it's all due to the amazing, supportive and good looking people in my life. To me, the highest compliment that you can give an artist isn't saying "I love your work" it's saying "Your art inspired me to create my own". So, to Taylor and everyone involved in the REP era...your artistry on the album inspired me and pushed me to create my favorite project I've ever worked on.

(the full project is also posted on my Instagram, check out the photos there as well and let me know what you think! Insta: hollandmariah)



Track 1 _ ...ready for it?
This is me. Hi. Obviously this was one of the most simple shoots on this project. This song is an invitation and a sneak into the vibe of 1/2 the  album. It wasn't until I listened to "...ready for it?" at midnight before hearing all the other songs that I really understood the hype up vibe of this track. It's also going to be life changing at the beginning of her live show💥



Track 2 _ end game
This track is straight fire, so I had to bring that to the shoot. Sara brought Taylor's verse to life and I can't express how sick this was to shoot! 



Track 3 _ I did something bad
One of my favorite shoots by far. Hannah was such an amazing trooper especially because she's completely terrified of fire...but you can't tell. 



Track 4 _ don't blame me
The contrast between the beautiful stain glass and Amily's badass-ness spoke volumes to me. The full choir sound of the track was the inspiration for this shoot. 


Track 5 _ delicate
Delicate is one of my favorites on the album. The track represented being broken but strong. It's when you are feeling broken but that one person is there to make you feel special again. That's where the inspiration came to use these mirrors for an added layer of depth in the photo. Tyler brought life to the strong subject in the broken frame. I love this.  


Track 6 _ look what you made me do
LWYMMD is such a badass jam, I took full inspiration from the music video. The bat added a little extra edge but Rachel provided the full attitude. 



Track 7 _ so it goes...
This song marks the change of dark vs light in the album (the transition between this and the vibe of gorgeous) but the most important note in the track is all the contradicting statements. The good vs the bad. In my experience in life, before I have a big change or decision to make I am constantly flipping back and forth between what I want to do and what I think I should do. Cheyenne represents that fully in this shot. good vs bad = naive vs jaded. 



Track 8 _ gorgeous
Gorgeous is such a fun and happy track and so it obviously needed to be super bring and full of life! It marks the switch in vibe of the album so I thought the colors and visuals brought light to Taylor's lyrics. Maddie is always full of life and laughter so we had a fun time jamming to Gorgeous and playing with these shots.



Track 9 _ getaway car
CAUTION. This song is the personification of a rebound relationship. And I love every lyric and beat of this song. The caution light reflecting off of Cheyenne's face conveys everything thing that this song speaks.


Track 10 _ king of my heart
All I can think about when I listen to KOMH is that Taylor has found what she's been looking for, what we all look for. That feeling that it's not just you alone against the world. You have another half, and even if you are physically alone...he's the king of your heart. Carry his crown. 



Track 11 _ dancing with our hands tied
Relationships are complicated and messy and everyone is moving at their own pace and it's hard to see what's happening when your head is consumed in the moment. This is about looking back at the formation of something beautiful, even if it was messy and complex...it's beautiful. Dance through the avalanche. 



Track 12 _ dress
My favorite line in all of Rep is "I woke up just in time, now I wake up by your side". There is nothing better than the comfortable feeling of understanding that you made the right choice. Yes, this is a sexy song but I really believe it's a intimate statement about her relationship. 



Track 13 _ this is why we can't have nice things 
 I have been looking for a reason to have someone acting crazy and break plates in front of the camera...what better time than now? This track is everything that I've wanted from Taylor, it's the perfect mix between Bad Blood and Better Than Revenge. I love this shot of Steph's cunning laugh, I think it really hits home with the message of the song. 



Track 14 _ call it what you want 
This bridge of this track is SO important. The comfort and love that Taylor feels is best reflected in the last two tracks of the album.  This track feels like the starry head feeling of falling in love💛

Track 15 _ New Year's Day
Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you. I know this has a bit of a cheesy-ness but when I listen to this song I feel like she is saying that line to her fans, her people. This last track is a nod to her classic sound and it proves that even when you grow and evolve...you can still bring bits of the past with you. 

Comments

Popular Posts