2017 Music



I have always had a strong connection with music, as long as I can recall. This year I had really amped up the obsession. I've been to more shows, spent more time connecting and sharing music I discover and have really started to consider career options in the music industry. I want to be able to share my favorite and document this on my blog to look back on in the future. The albums and musicians I have connected with most this year have been some of the best parts of the best of 2017 for me. If you haven't already checked out these albums, hop on Spotify and give these albums a listen and let me know what you think!

What have been your favorite albums released this year?


Feel Something ⎮MOVEMENTS⎮
I just found out about Movements this year, I listen to their ep Outgrown Things right before Feel Something released and I loved and then the album released and I'm honestly still not over it. I have listened to it on repeat since it released and its an album that i listen through fully with out skipping any song every time i put it on. I have a new favorite track every time i listen. my *favorite* favorites (right now) are: Deep Red (its a love song like no other love song I've connected to before), Daylily (i honestly listened to only daylily on repeat the first day that it was released, and Deadly Dull. For me this year this album was the most important record. The topics covered are things that I connect with on a level that has been really meaningful this year. I also think that because I have held me love for this record pretty close to me, it almost means more because its personal. I am the first to promote music that I believe in, but with this record I love that its something I can talk about to everyone around me but its also uniquely personal for me....if that even makes sense at all.

➗ ⎮ED SHEERAN⎮
This was a MUCH anticipated album for me (obviously if you know me I’m a not so lowkey Ed fan). So this release at the start of the year meant a lot. I was nervous about all the hype around it but upon its release I connected with it just like I had with ➕. I adore so many of these songs but Dive is by far my favorite track off the album. It’s going to be one of the constantly replayed songs for me. This album also held open a lot of the doors that ✖️opened for Ed. It's also great to see and hear that he can take time and come back into the industry and still have a massive success like this.

Reputation ⎮TAYLOR SWIFT⎮
I obviously am obsessed with Taylor and i can’t even pretend that any album she released wouldn’t end up on my top albums list. But rep really impressed and inspired me. I also really appreciate the emotion that she put into the writing and arranging of the songs. Taylor and Jack’s musical chemistry seriously gave this album an additional layer. My favorite tracks are getaway car, call it what you want, dancing with our hands tied, New Year’s Day (hi let me just name all of the songs). It also inspired me to do separate concept photo shoots for each of the tracks on Rep! I blogged them so you can check it out below!

Melodrama ⎮LORDE⎮
WOW FUCKING BLOW ME AWAY! This album really is an incredible roller coaster of emotion led and narrated by Ella. Her writing is impeccably unique with a mix of her young age and the wisdom she carry’s with her old soul. Again the mix of her and Jack’s musical chemistry makes this something insanely amazing and beautiful.


Gone Now ⎮BLEACHERS⎮
Obviously I’m a fan of Jack and his work. To me everything he touches is gold. It’s not “gold” as in pop/ mainstream money but it’s lead and created by his amazing musical ear! I love watching any behind the scenes action that he’s a part of just to see him explaining HOW he creates. He has done so much for the music industry the past couple of years that it’s insane that he has time to create his own magic. Not to mention his live shows are out of this world. This album means so much to me because i can hear all different small details each time i listen to the tracks like when he overlaps so many different sounds on the track Goodmorning. Those personal touches make the album 100% Jack.

Adornment ⎮GRAYSCALE⎮
This record is one of those that immediately when I was introduced to I could tell this would stick with me. I had never listened to Grayscale before hearing Adornment and it blew me away. separate from the music itself, the band is full of just absolutely GREAT and talented guys. I will be rooting for them for the long haul. My favorite memory of this album was when I went to get my music note tattoo. Adornment had just come out and I had been listening to it for a couple weeks (shout out to Chey for telling me to check it out). So I walked into the tattoo parlor and TRACK ONE LET IT RAIN is playing? I obviously freaked when I realized they were playing the whole album. Its moments like this that really make me feel connected to the music I listen to.

Shapeshifter ⎮KNUCKLE PUCK⎮
GOD this album has stuck with me this year. I have found myself gravitating to listen to Shapeshifter when I need inspiration and motivation. This might have to do with the memories I have associated with Knuckle Puck. Their show that I went to this year at Cat's Cradle and it was honestly one of my favorite memories of 2017. Homesafe , With Confidence and Movements opened. COME ON! WITH CON AND MOVEMENTS!! I really love Want Me Around and Conduit, but really the entire album comes as a packaged deal to me. I could drive around for hours and never get tired of listening to these songs.

Everybody ⎮LOGIC⎮
Logic has had an AMAZING year career wise and the reason this record is in my top for the year is because the art he and his people created for this record is what has propelled himself into the mainstream light. This record is so real, raw and transforming for his career and pop culture that I couldn't look away from it. Black Spiderman and 1-800 are just two of the tracks that scream a message of peace love and positivity. Logic then turns to use his storytelling narrative on his experience with the track Anxiety and that realness gains a lot of respect in my opinion. He also features many small artists who hold the same messages as himself.

Overexposed ⎮SLEEP ON IT⎮
The is my most recent addition to my must listen musical library. I saw Sleep On It on the Waterparks tour and immediately gained respect for them based off their live performance. Then I listened to Overexposed a few times and tried to listen to another artist and kept feeling a pull to listen to Overexposed. My favorite tracks off the are What We Stay Alive For, Fireworks, and Hope. I can't wait to watch Sleep On It grow in the community.

bonus 2017 albums: 

Lany ⎮LANY⎮

The Thrill Of It All ⎮SAM SMITH⎮

Revival ⎮EMINEM⎮

Make the Best of It ⎮Have Mercy⎮

Great Heights and Nosedives ⎮ROAM⎮

Music I'm looking forward to in 2018: 


The Dangerous Summer: First on my list HAS to be The Dangerous Summer's self titled album. I am so excited to see the band back in action and get another piece of art. Albums like Reach For the Sun are ones that lit the fire in my life for music, I will always be loyal to bands that inspire me.

Ellie Goulding: She has taken a much needed break year but I cannot wait to hear what she has been working on. Her musical talent is one I will always be interested in.

Between You and Me: They just recently signed to Hopeless and finished recording their album with Stevie Knight so you already know it will be a good one. Their EP Paper Thin is a great snapshot of their sound and I know they have big things coming!

Comments

Popular Posts