Race. Are We So Different?


Today I went to the Race exhibit in Raleigh NC. I would recommend anyone to go, and I was moved to showcase some of the things I took away from this exhibit. I would really recommend you to experience this yourself, but this is the exhibit through my eyes. 

To start most of what I saw spoke to me in this voice: Silence is the big issue. 
It is easy for anyone who is white to have the "Race does not affect me" mantra down. What I have come to realize, through life experience and MY life of privilege is that You don't realize race as an issue until it becomes personal. 

Education doesn't equal non racist. After watching a video on a ladies experience of racism in college I thought of my school experience. I was surrounded sitting in class with highly educated peers all through out high school who would be categorically racist. Through their upbringing in small towns like Rockwell, Faith and Salisbury I have been accustomed to all levels of racist USA. This is not to say that all these people that grew up around me are racist but Race is not an easy topic in these towns. And silence is the big issue. 


"Does where we come from tell us who we are?" Bottom line we ALL originated from Africa then scattered through the world . This was so apparent is watching video testimonies from many people from different races, ages and family backgrounds. All of these people had the same message, they have experienced a culture rejecting them on large and small scales. Politically and culturally racism is as real as it gets. These testimonies were the most real way to show that. 

Your viewpoint is not egocentric. 

I would encourage anyone with any background, viewpoint or experience to visit this exhibit. While showing the past it consistently relates to the future and where race and thoughts about race are going in our society. African American, Native American, Asian, European, and Hispanic races were represented in a real way. Mixed race were represented in a real way. The Race exhibit really opened my eyes about the future of our country and the direction that we need to head, in acceptance and equality for all. The battle against racism is something that will be a fight that we will forever be up against. Starting the conversation and sharing our thoughts, opinions and ideas will start to chip away at the walls we have built up for hundreds of years. Racism is not a "problem" that has an easy fix. Join the conversation, visit the exhibit, watch documentaries about race and educate yourself. The future of race acceptance is a movement. 


To close I want to leave with this question that was open to all who visit. What's your story? 





















Comments

Popular Posts